martedì 14 aprile 2015

Typomad 2014 (2014)

Typomad 2014


What is the most important element of typography?


Is it what you see or what you don’t? Is a letterform the presence or absence of something?


In the title sequence for Spain’s Typomad 2014 conference, Dutch designer Jeroen Krielaars asks these questions and so much more, gleefully exploring the idea of ‘oculto’ - or the hidden part of type.


Conference title sequences, unlike their film and television counterparts, have an unfortunate tendency to be unfocused, meandering pieces; a list of names with little in the way of context and a theme far removed from the topic at hand. Typomad 2014 is thankfully an exception to this rule. This is a sequence about typography, how it is created, and how we understand it.


Presenting viewers with a dizzying array of animated puzzles and contraptions, Krielaars renders the initials of Typomad festival speakers as giant letterforms caught in some incredible machine. Mazes, billboards, tile puzzles, and even an old timey thaumatrope become a playground for type, Matteo Taheri’s soundscape imbuing every set of letters with a feeling of fun, each one a new mystery to be unravelled. Letters appear and disappear with subtle changes in perspective or the turn of a dial. Form and meaning are broken down and reassembled by the clockwork of some unknowable geometry.







It hides, we seek.


A discussion with designer JEROEN KRIELAARS of Calango.


Give us a little background on yourself, and your design studio Calango.


I studied concepts and brands at the Amsterdam Fashion Institute. It gave me certain creative skills, but I quickly discovered that a career in fashion was not for me. I always enjoyed the graphic design and presentation of my projects more than the actual content. So, in the evenings I taught myself the basic principles of design and played around with software.


Right after my graduation I worked at MTV Networks for a month. That's when I decided to start…


RSS & Email Subscribers: Check out the full Typomad 2014 article at Art of the Title.






from Art of the Title http://ift.tt/1HmGcgC

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento